Hachis Parmentier, the best gastronomic dish par excellence
Hachis Parmentier is a typical French dish, made of potatoes and minced meat. It is also one of the most popular dishes in French cuisine. It is perfect for a meal with family or friends, and its preparation does not require much time. Learn how to prepare it with this delicious and easy to make Shepherd’s pie recipe.
- Preparation : 30 minutes
- Cooking : 45 minutes
- Rest : 15 minutes
The ingredients needed to make a good shepherd’s pie
- 500g minced meat
- 2 onions
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 liter of beef stock
- 2 medium potatoes
- 80g butter
- Salt and pepper
Preparing the shepherd’s pie
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the chopped onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add the minced meat and cook until nicely browned.
- Add the grated carrots, flour and beef broth and simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in salted water until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with the butter, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a gratin dish, spread the mashed potatoes and cover them with the minced meat.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the shepherd’s pie is golden brown.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Oven : preheated to 180°C for 30 minutes.
Your shepherd’s pie is ready to be served. This dish is ideal for a meal with friends or family, and can be accompanied by vegetables or salads. You can also serve it with tomato sauce or bechamel sauce. Enjoy your lunch !
Which piece of beef for a shepherd’s pie?
For Shepherd’s pie, it is generally recommended to use lean ground beef. This makes it possible to obtain a soft and melting texture, while avoiding an excess of fat in the preparation. It is possible to use other meats such as pork or veal, but beef is often considered the most classic and popular choice.
What starter to make before a Shepherd’s pie?
It is common to serve a green salad or a soup before a shepherd’s pie. This allows you to start the meal with something light and fresh, before moving on to a heartier and more comforting dish. It can also help balance flavors and nutrients in the meal. There are also alternatives such as potato salad or vegetable soup.
Why is it called Hachis Parmentier?
Hachis Parmentier was named after Antoine-Augustin Parmentier, a famous 18th century French nutritionist who promoted the potato as a staple food. It managed to convince people of the time of its nutritional benefits and its value as a staple food.
There are several ways to reheat Shepherd’s pie. However, one of the more common methods is to place it in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until warm and golden. It is also possible to heat it in a pan or in the microwave. It is important to distribute the preparation well in the dish before putting it to heat up, and to cover the dish with aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out. It is also advisable to check the internal temperature of the preparation to ensure that it is hot before serving.